Notary Public Services
The Library offers Notary Public Services for the benefit of the residents of South Amboy. The following guidelines will be followed:
- Library Notaries are available according to the posted schedule. Notary service is not available in the thirty (30) minutes prior to the time of closing.
- Community members seeking Notary Service must contact the Library prior to their visit to ensure that a Notary is available. Contact may be made by telephone or e-mail.
- Notary Service is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Valid photo identification is required of any person seeking Notary Service.
- Notary Service is limited to three documents per person, per day. A fee of $2 per document is charged for non South Amboy library card holders.
- The Library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from people using the library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at the Library.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a person requesting Notary Service.
- Notary Service is not available for Deeds, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils or Depositions.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are: birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document of circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
- Unforeseen circumstances may sometimes result in a pre-scheduled appointment with a Library Notary to be canceled.
Have a question? Click here
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org